VW Caddy Maxi TGI is Green Car of the Year 2016 in Finland
Green Car of the Year 2016 in Finland is methane car Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TGI. Green Car of the Year has been selected annually since 1996 in Finland. In 2016 the 21th selection was made and for the second time a methane car was chosen.
Selection was made of 33 car models representing 11 car brands and 5 car segments (A, B, C, D and M) by Technology for Life (sustainable development association of engineers and scientists). All are M1 vehicles according to the EU vehicle classification and have been available during 2016 in the Finnish market imported by official brand representatives. Car models were eligible candidates in the selection process by fulfilling the following environmental requirements:
- Primary energy: must be able to use solar or wind energy based secondary energy form, which is available in public stations in EU and/or Nordic countries.
- Secondary energy: must be able to use clean secondary energy forms, i.e. electricity, hydrogen or methane (as defined by the EU Directive 2014/94/EU on the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure) in pure (100 %) form.
- Crude oil independency: must be crude oil independent, i.e. able to drive without crude oil based fuels (but may, in addition, have ability to use crude oil based fuels).
As a result of these environmental requirements, all candidates
- are alternative fuel cars with ability to 100 % use of alternative secondary energy forms,
- are able to use 100 % renewable electricity, hydrogen or methane in pure form,
- are able to reach CO2 emission level 0 gCO2/km, and
- are able to reach lifecycle greenhouse gas emission level 0 gCO2eq/km.
The 33 candidates represent 5 different technologies:
|AFV type||Technology||Description||Car models|
|PEV||BEV (electricity)||electric car||6|
|PHEV (electricity/gasoline)||gasoline-plug-in-hybrid car||10|
|PHEV (electricity/diesel oil)||diesel-plug-in-hybrid car||1|
|H2V||FCEV (GH2)||hydrogen fuel cell car (monofuel)||1|
|MGV||Bifuel (CMG/gasoline)||methane car (bifuel)||15|
Candidates were evaluated using metrics developed for this purpose. Each car was classified by 9 environmental properties yielding at most 90 points. VW Caddy Maxi TGI scored 78 points, which gave it first position among the candidates. But all other candidates are also excellent green cars, guaranteed by the very strict entry requiremens.
For the past four years Green Cars of the Year have been clean power vehicles. The preceding selections were:
- 2015: Seat Mii Ecofuel (MGV)
- 2014: Nissan Leaf (BEV)
- 2013: Toyota Prius PHEV (PHEV)